Konnect Cloud Updates
The updates contained in this topic apply to Konnect Cloud,
an application that lets you manage configuration for multiple runtimes
from a single, cloud-based control plane, and provides a catalog of all deployed
- Kong Gateway 220.127.116.11 support
- Konnect Cloud now supports Kong Gateway 18.104.22.168 runtimes.
You can keep using existing 2.7.x runtimes, or you can upgrade to
22.214.171.124 to take advantage of any new features, updates, and bug fixes.
For all the changes and new features in Kong Gateway 2.8.x, see the
To use any new features in the release,
start up a new 126.96.36.199 runtime.
- Custom Domain for Dev Portal
- You can now set a custom domain for your Dev Portal through the Konnect Cloud Admin UI.
See the documentation: Add a Custom Domain.
- Headers are modifiable
- You can now set a welcome message and primary header through the Admin UI for your Dev Portal.
- Kong Gateway 188.8.131.52 support
- Konnect Cloud now supports Kong Gateway 184.108.40.206 runtimes.
You can keep using existing 2.6.x runtimes, or you can upgrade to
220.127.116.11 to take advantage of any new features, updates, and bug fixes.
For all the changes and new features in Kong Gateway 2.7.x, see the
To use any new features in the release,
start up a new 18.104.22.168 runtime.
- Single-sign on (SSO) with Okta
- Konnect Cloud now supports single sign-on (SSO) access through
See the guide on Setting up SSO with Okta
for more information.
- Kong Gateway 22.214.171.124 support
- Konnect Cloud now supports Kong Gateway 126.96.36.199
runtimes. You can keep using existing 2.5.x runtimes, or you can upgrade to
188.8.131.52 to take advantage of any new features, updates, and bug fixes.
- This release introduces the new jq plugin. It also
adds new features and improvements to a long list of plugins, including:
- Kafka Log
and Kafka Upstream: Support for TLS, mTLS, and
- Prometheus: Introduces the
data_plane_cluster_cert_expiry_timestamp metric, letting you keep an eye on the
status of you data plane certificates
- Request Termination: Introduces the
trigger configuration option, which tells the
plugin to activate only on specific headers or query parameters
To use any new features in the release and gain access to the jq plugin,
start up a new runtime.
For all the changes and new features in Kong Gateway 2.6.x, see the
- Tags for auth plugins created by application registration
- When you enable application registration on a Service,
Konnect Cloud enables two plugins automatically: ACL, and one of Key
Authentication or OIDC. These plugins cannot be edited or deleted directly. To
help differentiate the Konnect-managed plugins and avoid breaking your Service,
Konnect now adds two metadata tags for declarative configuration:
See the Dev Portal doc section on
for more information.
- Kong Gateway 184.108.40.206 support
- Konnect Cloud now supports Kong Gateway 220.127.116.11.
runtimes. You can keep using existing 2.4.x runtimes, or you can upgrade to
18.104.22.168 to take advantage of any new features, updates, and bug fixes.
- This release includes event hook support,
improvements to CP-DP communication, new configuration options in plugins, and more.
- For all the changes and new features in Kong Gateway 2.5.x, see the changelog.
- Global plugin support
- You can now configure global plugins through Konnect Cloud. Visit the
Shared Config page
and select the Plugin menu option to get started.
- Kong Gateway 22.214.171.124 support
- Konnect Cloud now supports Kong Gateway 126.96.36.199
runtimes. You can keep using existing 2.3.x runtimes, or you can upgrade to
188.8.131.52 to take advantage of any new features.
- The 184.108.40.206 release includes two new plugins: OPA and
Mocking. To use these plugins, and any other features
newly introduced in this release, start up a new runtime.
- For all the changes and new features in Kong Gateway 2.4.x, see the changelog.
- More plugins available in Konnect Cloud
- The following plugins are now available:
- Free tier
- Plus tier
- Enterprise tier
- Default strategy/policy for rate limiting plugins
- The rate limiting plugins now default to
redis as the rate limiting
strategy or policy. This setting allows cluster-wide rate limiting using a
Redis server. To store counters in-memory on each node, change this setting
cluster config strategy/policy is not supported in
Konnect Cloud, and does not appear as an option in the plugin
To find the setting based on the rate limiting plugin, see:
- Sorting the runtime status table
- You can now sort the runtime status table in
Runtime Manager by the
Last Seen or Sync Status columns.
- Certificate expiration limit extended
- The validity period for runtime certificates has been extended from 30 days to
To take advantage of the new validity period, bring up new data planes through
the Runtime Manager. For existing instances, generate new certificates.
- Konnect Plus is launched!
- Konnect introduces a
new plan tier system for subscriptions.
- Kong Konnect Free: Basic features and plugins with a
cloud control plane.
- Kong Konnect Plus: A pay-as-you-go, credit card-based
option that provides a simple way for developers or operators on small teams to
quickly start using the services they need right now.
- Kong Konnect Enterprise: For organizations that want
to manage all services across their entire organization. Konnect
Enterprise provides connectivity with enterprise-grade security, scalability,
and observability across any cloud, platform, and protocol to help teams build
powerful digital services and experiences.
If you already have a Konnect or Kong Gateway
account and license, this license will roll over seamlessly into the new
Konnect Enterprise tier.
- Konnect Plus free trials
- When you sign up for a Konnect account,
you are automatically enrolled into a 30-day Konnect
Plus free trial. You don’t need to provide a credit card or any info beyond
the account registration. At the end of the trial, you’ll have the choice to
keep the account at the Plus tier or downgrade to Free.
- Billing and plan management
- You can now manage your plan subscription
for Free and Plus plan tiers directly from the app. Konnect
now includes a Stripe integration, and the process is fully self-serve: choose
your plan, add a card, make payments, all through the Konnect
app and billing portal.
- Self-serve account registration
- You can now sign up for a Konnect account without an
access code. No more
reaching out to Kong support or sales for access – just go
to https://konnect.konghq.com and try it out!
- Runtime setup improvements
- Runtime setup for Linux and Kubernetes environments has improved. When you
configure a new runtime, instead of one Advanced tab, the Runtime Manager
now has Linux and Kubernetes tabs. Choose the tab that fits your
environment and copy the configuration parameters directly.
Known issues with the Kubernetes tab:
repository parameters are in the wrong format and
point to a non-existent image. Substitute them with the following:
cluster_telemetry_endpoint is missing a space between
the parameter and the value. Add a space to fix the formatting:
- Runtime setup improvement
- Quick setup just got a little bit faster. When configuring a new runtime
through the Runtime Manager, HTTPie is no longer required for the
quick setup script.
- Kong Gateway 2.3 support
- Konnect Cloud now supports Kong Gateway 2.3
runtimes. There is no upgrade path for existing runtimes.
- To use Kong Gateway 2.3, reprovision a new runtime.
- Advanced runtime configuration
- You can now configure custom Kong Gateway data planes through the
Runtime Manager and run gateway instances outside of Docker. Use the
Advanced option when configuring a new runtime to get started.
See the runtime configuration guides for more information:
- Logging plugins
- The full set of Kong Gateway’s logging plugins is now available
through Konnect Cloud. This includes:
- Portal authentication
- You can now disable authentication on a Dev Portal,
which exposes the Dev Portal publicly to anyone with the link. No one needs to register
for Dev Portal access.
- New application registrations aren’t available through a public-facing portal.
Kong Konnect (Konnect) is now generally available!
To get started with Konnect, see the
For more information about Konnect, contact your Kong sales