Install Kong Gateway on Ubuntu
The Kong Gateway software is governed by the Kong Software License Agreement. Kong is licensed under an Apache 2.0 license.
This page will install Kong Gateway in traditional mode, where it acts as both the control plane and data plane. Running in this mode may have a small performance impact.
We recommend using Konnect as your control plane to allow your data plane to run at maximum performance and decrease your deployment complexity
- A supported system with root or root-equivalent access.
- (Enterprise only) A
license.jsonfile from Kong
Note: Kong Gateway supports running on AWS Graviton processors. It can run in all AWS Regions where AWS Graviton is supported.
The quickest way to get started with Kong Gateway is using our install script:
This script detects your operating system and automatically installs the correct package. It will also install a Postgres database and bootstrap Kong Gateway for you.
If you’d prefer to install just the package, please see the Package Install section.
Once the script completes, run the following in the same terminal window:
curl -i http://localhost:8001
You should receive a
200 status code.
Once Kong Gateway is running, you may want to do the following:
- Optional: Add your Enterprise license.
- Enable Kong Manager
- Enable Dev Portal
- Create services and routes.
You can install Kong Gateway by downloading an installation package or using our APT repository.
- We currently package Kong Gateway for Ubuntu Bionic and Focal. If you are using a different release, replace
focalin the commands below. To check your release name run
- Kong Gateway supports running on AWS Graviton processors. It can run in all AWS Regions where AWS Graviton is supported.