Estimated reading time:
Table of Contents
Kong Manager offers a robust file editor for editing the template files of the Dev Portal from within the browser.
- Kong Enterprise 1.3 or later
- Access to Kong Manager
- The Kong Developer Portal is enabled and running
NOTE: Editor Mode is not available when running the Dev Portal in legacy mode
Enter Editor Mode
From the Kong Manager dashboard of your Workspace, click “Editor” under “Dev Portal” in the sidebar.
This will launch the Editor Mode:
Note: Editor Mode is a live editor - once Saved, changes to files will propagate to the Dev Portal immediately.
Navigating the Editor
When enabled, the Dev Portal is pre-populated with Kong’s default theme. The file editor exposes these files to the UI, allowing them to be edited quickly and easily from inside the browser. When you first open the editor you will be presented with a list of files on the left, and a blank editing form.
- Create new files for the Dev Portal right from the Editor by clicking
- List of all exposed template files in the Dev Portal, separated by Content / Spec / Themes
- Code View - Select a file from the sidebar to show the code here
- Portal Preview - a live preview of the selected Dev Portal file
- Toggle View - Choose between three different views, full screen code, a split view, and full screen preview mode
Select a file from the sidebar to open it for editing - this will expose the file to the Code View and show a live update in the Portal Preview. Clicking “Save” in the top right corner will save the updates to the database and update the file on the Dev Portal.
Adding new files
New File + button will open the New File Dialog.
Once created, files will immediately be available from within the Editor.
Authentication is handled by readable_by value on content pages (for gui view go to permissions page)
- set readable_by: ‘*’ to equal old authenticated
- to restrict access to certain roles, set readably to an array of accepted roles (must create roles first on permissions page)
- on specs readable_by is set inside “x-headmatter” object
To delete a file from within the Editor, right click on the file name and select
Delete from the pop-up menu.
NOTE This action cannot be undone.