You are browsing documentation for an outdated plugin version.
Did you know that you can try this plugin without talking to anyone for just $10/month with Kong Konnect? Get started in under 5 minutes.
Looking for the plugin's configuration parameters? You can find them in the GraphQL Rate Limiting Advanced configuration reference doc.
The GraphQL Rate Limiting Advanced plugin provides rate limiting for GraphQL queries. The
GraphQL Rate Limiting plugin extends the
Rate Limiting Advanced plugin.
Due to the nature of client-specified GraphQL queries, the same HTTP request
to the same URL with the same method can vary greatly in cost depending on the
semantics of the GraphQL operation in the body.
A common pattern to protect your GraphQL API is then to analyze and
assign costs to incoming GraphQL queries and rate limit the consumer’s
cost for a given time window.
- Redis configuration values are ignored if the
cluster strategy is used.
- PostgreSQL 9.5+ is required when using the
cluster strategy with
postgres as the backing Kong cluster datastore.
dictionary_name directive was added to prevent the usage of the
kong shared dictionary, which could lead to
no memory errors.
- The introspection endpoint is generated based on the Kong service path, so the service path should be defined with an actual path instead of appending from the route path.
- Known limitation: The query and introspection endpoints cannot have separate paths.
- Example: While using KIC, if the query and introspection endpoints are at path
/graphql, they should be configured like this:
- Add the
konghq.com/strip-path: "true" annotation to the ingress resource
- Add the
konghq.com/path: /graphql annotation to the service resource
Kong also provides a GraphQL Proxy Cache Advanced plugin.
Get started with the GraphQL Rate Limiting Advanced plugin