Estimated reading time:
Before getting started with using Kong Gateway, verify that it was installed correctly, and that you’re ready to administer it.
Before you begin
Before you start this section, make sure that:
- Kong Gateway is installed and running.
- Kong Manager (if applicable) and Kong Admin API ports are listening on the appropriate port/IP/DNS settings.
- If using declarative configuration to configure Kong, decK is installed.
In this guide, an instance of Kong Gateway is referenced via
<admin-hostname>. Make sure to replace
<admin-hostname> with the hostname of your control plane instance.
Note for Kong Enterprise free trial users
If you are trying out Kong Enterprise using a hosted free trial, you can go through this guide to experience some of this enhanced functionality. However, you need to enable access to the Admin API first.
- Open the Kong Manager using the link provided in your free trial welcome email.
- Open Teams > RBAC Users, then click Add New User.
- Set up an RBAC user with an appropriate role (e.g. admin) and an RBAC token. Make sure to leave the Enabled box checked.
- Test by building a request to the Admin API.
Or using HTTPie:
$ curl -H “Kong-Admin-Token:<your-RBAC-token>” \
You should get a 200 response code and your list of services will be empty.
$ http <admin-endpoint-from-email>/services \
You can now use the Admin API instructions in this guide. Remember to switch any mentions of
<admin-hostname>:8001 with your Admin API endpoint (no port number required).
Verify the Kong Gateway configuration
(Optional) Verify Control Plane and Data Plane connection
If you’re running Kong in Hybrid mode, you will need to perform all tasks in this
guide from the Control Plane. However, you can check that all of your
configurations are being pushed from the Control Plane to your Data Planes using
the Cluster Status CLI.
Run the following on a Control Plane:
The output shows all of the connected Data Plane instances:
Summary and next steps
In this section, you learned about the methods of administering Kong Gateway and how to access its configuration. Next, go on to learn about exposing your services with Kong Gateway.