Estimated reading time:
This is the documentation for the Kong Enterprise 2.1.x beta.
To see the documentation for the latest stable version of Kong Enterprise, go to 1.5.x.
Manage Developer Applications from Kong Manager
Developers can create applications from the Kong Developer Portal. An application can apply to any number of Services. This is called a Service Contract. To use an application with a Service, the Service Contract must have an Approved status. To enable automatic approval for all new Service Contracts, enable Auto-approve for the Portal Application Registration plugin.
Create an Application
- Log in to the Kong Developer Portal.
- Click My Apps in the top navigation bar.
- Click New Application.
- Complete the Create Application dialog:
- Enter a unique
- Enter a
- Enter a
- Click Create. The Application Dashboard is displayed. From the
dashboard, you can view details about your application, view your credentials,
generate more credentials, and view your application status against a list of
- Before you can use your application, you must activate it to create a Service
Contract for the Service. In the Services section of the Application Dashboard,
click Activate on the Service you want to use. If Auto-approve is not
enabled, your application will remain pending until an admin approves your
View all Service Contracts for an Application
A list of all applications in a Workspace can be accessed from the left navigation pane.
- Click Applications to view the list of applications.
- From the Applications list, click an application to view all Service Contracts for the application; including contracts in Approved, Revoked, and Rejected status.
- In the Service Contracts section, click the Requested Access tab to view Service Contracts requests for the application. Approve, revoke, or reject
View all Application Contracts for a Service
View all Application Contracts and their status for a Service from the
- Click Services in the left navigation pane.
- Select the Service for which you have Application Registration enabled.
- From the Service Contracts tab, view all Approved, Revoked, Rejected, and Requested Access for the Service.
Add a Document to your Service
When using Application Registration, it is recommended to link documentation
(OAS/Swagger spec) to your Service. Doing so allows Dev Portal users to easily
register Application Contracts for their applications from the documentation
page, and view a list of all documentation from the Catalog page.
Add a document from the Service View page:
- From your Workspace, in the left navigation pane, go to API Gateway > Services.
- On the Services page, select the Service for which you want to add a document and click View.
- In the Documents section, click Add a Document.
- Choose a method to add the document to the Service:
- Use Document Spec Path to select an existing spec in the Portal.
- Use Upload Document to upload a new spec to the Portal.
- Click Add Document.