Table of Contents
- Managing Developers for your Developer Portal
Managing Developers for your Developer Portal
Once your Kong Developer Portal is enabled you will be able to view developers from the Developers tab in the Admin GUI. If you do not know how to access the Admin GUI see Accessing Admin GUI.
A status represents the state of a developer and the access they have to your APIs / Developer Portal.
- A Developer who can access the Developer Portal. Approved Developers can create credentials & access all APIs that allow those credentials.
- In the Admin API, Approved Developers have
status = 0.
- A Developer who has requested access but has not yet been Approved.
- In the Admin API, Requested Developers have
status = 1.
- A Developer who has had their request denied by a Kong Administrator.
- In the Admin API, Rejected Developers have
status = 2.
- A Developer who once had access to the Developer Portal but has since had access Revoked.
- In the Admin API, Revoked Developers have
status = 3.
Developers who have requested access to your Kong Developer Portal will appear under the Requested Access tab. From this tab you can choose to Accept or Reject the developer from the actions in the table row. After selecting an action the corresponding tab will update.
In the Admin API, you can approve Developers by changing their
status to 0:
curl -svX PATCH \ --url http://localhost:8001/portal/developers/53ec3f45-2da4-4d38-966a-e98743d85eac \ --data 'status=0'
Enabling Auto Approval
You can choose to have developers automatically approved and skip the requested state. To enable follow these steps:
- Navigate to the
DEVELOPER PORTAL AUTHENTICATIONsection in
- Find and change the
portal_auto_approveconfiguration option to
on. Don't forget to remove the
#from the beginning of the line. It should now look like:
portal_auto_approve = on
- Restart kong (
See Property References to learn more about configuring the Kong Developer Portal.
Viewing Approved Developers
To view all currently approved developers choose the Approved tab. From here you can choose to Revoke or Delete a particular developer. Additionally you can use this view to send an email to a developer with the Email Developer
mailto link. See Emailing Developers for more info.
You can also view Developers using the Admin API, optionally filtering by their approval status:
curl -svX GET http://localhost:8001/portal/developers?status=0
Viewing Revoked Developers
To view all currently revoked developers choose the Revoked tab. From here you can choose to Re-approve or Delete a developer.
You can also delete Developers using the Admin API:
curl -svX DELETE \ --url http://localhost:8001/portal/developers/53ec3f45-2da4-4d38-966a-e98743d85eac
Viewing Rejected Developers
To view all currently rejected developers choose the Rejected tab. Rejected developers completed the registration flow on your Developer Portal but were rejected from the Request Access tab. You may Approve or Delete a developer from this tab.
Inviting Developers to Register
To invite a single or set of developers...
- Click the Invite Developers button from the top right corner above the tabs
- Use the popup modal to enter email addresses separated by commas
- After all emails have been added click Invite. This will open a pre-filled message in your default email client with a link to the registration page for your Developer Portal
Each developer is bcc'd by default for privacy. You may choose to edit the message or send as is.
Sending Approved Email
To notify a developer they have been approved click the Email Developer action from their table row on the Approved tab.
This link will open a pre-filled email in your default email client with a link to the login page & their login email address for your Developer Portal. You may choose to edit the message or send as is.
Next: Developer Access ›